SEMOLINA DESSERT-( THE DESSERT IS CALLED IN TURKISH “KALBURA BASTI “.)
The traditional Dessert of Turkey is called Kalbura Basti. This is my version of Turkish semolina dessert(Kalbura Basti.) It is made with walnut but if you do not like walnut you can make it without walnut. Semolina dessert(Kalbura Basti) is the most popular dessert of Central Anatolia. . If you are a fan of desserts with syrup, Semolina Dessert is for you. Enjoy it!
INGREDIENTS FOR DOUGH
1 cup plain yogurt
2 cups semolina
4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tea spoon baking powder
1 cup olive oil
4/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon orange zest or 3 drop vanilla
1/2 cup walnut
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SYRUP
- 3 cups Sugar
- 2 and half cups Water
- 1/4 Fresh Lemon Juice Squeezed
- In a saucepan pour the water and add the sugar. Bring the heat to medium level and let it boil for 20minutes. Before you take it out from the heat, add the fresh lemon juice in it and boil 2-3 minutes more. Then set aside until the syrup completely cool as room temperature.
- In a bowl; add the room temperature unsalted butter, olive oil, whole milk, plain yogurt, semolina and mix them very well. Using a spatula will help you to mix the ingredients well.
- Add white flour and baking powder to the mix by using a flour sifter. And then knead the mix very well until all combined.
- After making the dough, cover the bowl with stretch film or a tea towel and leave it to rest for10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 35-40 equal pieces. Make small balls.
- Take one of the pieces and flatten it gently in your palm or a clean working surface to give oval shape.
- Place the oval-shaped dough piece on to the grater or a gnocchi board and fill it with grounded walnuts and join the folds at the ends to seal it.
- Remove it from the grater and you will see grid pattern on the surface. Place it on a baking tray.
- Repeat the same process until all dough balls finish.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Bake them 25 minutes. Until they get a golden color.
- After they get a golden color, take out the baking tray from the oven and put it on to the kitchen counter.
- Remove the pastries from the tray and place them into the deep serving plate and pour the syrup the top of pastries by using a spoon. Leave it to absorb the syrup for 1-2 hour.
- Garnish the pastries with remain walnuts or ground pistachio.
- Serve it a cup of tea, enjoy it!
Thank you very much for reading the recipe! 🙂