DEEP FRIED BOREK RECIPE
Deep fried borek is a delicious Turkish snack made from a special dough with milk, like pizza dough and stuffed with a variety of fillings, such as cheese, minced meat, spinach, sausage, boiled potato and etc. or you can make fried börek without filling, free-simple. Crispy deep fried böreks are stuffed with Turkish White cheese, but you can use mozzarella or Greek cheese, some of them stuffed with minced meat, some of them fried free-simple. You will not be able to resist deep fried börek. Enjoy it!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE BÖREK DOUGH:
500-600g or 5 -6 cups of plain flour (and extra flour for kneading)
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of white sugar
1 teaspoon of dry yeast
2 cups of whole milk
Sunflower oil for frying
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
1 Cup,Turkish White cheese or Mozzarella– cut into cubes, (or minced meat mixed with onion and green fresh pepper, salt, grounded black pepper, diced tomato.). I fried three types borek-chese borek, minced borek and free-simple borek. You can use whatever you desire for filling.
1. To make the borek dough, you need to start with all your dry ingredients.
2. Add the flour, salt and sugar together and start to mix it together.
3. Add 1 teaspoon yeast (about 20g yeast) to the milk and dissolve it using your hands, pour the mixed yeast to the middle mixed flour and add the milk little by little to the middle of the mixed flour and mix it.
4. Once the flour,yeast, milk are completely combined, It will get very gooey but don’t worry, just keep going!
5. Slowly but surely the ingredients will combine to form a ball of dough but if it’s too dry, you can add some more milk, if it’s too gooey, you can add some extra flour.
6. You knead the dough well for at least 10 minutes.
7. Cover the dough with a clingfilm and a tea-cloth, set aside about one hour or until it comes doubled size.
8. Now it’s time to roll your first one! Sprinkle flour over the top of your bench and make small balls from the dough, place one ball on top your bench.
9. Using a rolling pin, start to flatten the ball, by rolling it back and forth until you get a round, flat dough, between 3-4mm in thickness.
10. Place the mozzarella into the center of the dough or place mixed minced meat, or what ever you like.
11. Fold one side of the dough down on top of the other, making the edges meet and press down hard, making sure like a pocket is really well sealed.
12. Heat up sunflower oil in a large pan where you will fry the borek.
13. Once the oil is hot enough, place each prepared dough gently inside and let is cook for up 2-3 minutes, or until it fried golden brown.
14. Then, you will see it start to brown which means it is ready. Turn it over and let it cook on the other side for 1 minute.
15. Remove the börek from the fry pan and leave them to drain on a paper towel.
16. Deep fried boreks are best enjoyed to consume hot or warm so take a bite and be careful not to burn yourself. YUM! Enjoy it!
Thank you very much for stopping by! 🙂